Friday 9 January 2009

11 year-old poses security problem

I have two Filipino brothers who came to study in Singapore. The older boy arrived a month earlier. I placed him in a language school to prepare him for the year end school entry test. He received his student pass without a hitch.

The younger brother was also admitted to the same language school but his application for student pass was rejected. The school has no answer as to why it was rejected so I have to go down to ICA personally to see an officer.

I took a queue number and waited. A counter officer called my number and seeing the letter of rejection, just said there was nothing he could do as the decision is final. I asked for the reason for this rejection. He said he cannot tell. So I asked for an interview to see another officer.

I was back to the queue again and was seen by an elderly officer. She too said the decision was final. And she refused to tell me the reason for the rejection.

I took out the Manager's number and called. He attended to me at another counter. I showed him the letter of rejection. He too tried to dismiss me. When I pressed him for a reason, he said it was 'security reason'.

I saw red.

"Look at the boy's birth certificate! He's only 11 years old! What security problem can he pose? Besides, his older brother who is 12, is already given a student pass? Same family! Why isn't the older brother a security problem? Why the double standard?"

The Manager looked through the documents again and sheepishly apologised. I obtained the boy's student pass within 5 minutes.

These ICA staff are unbelievable!! And this is Singapore!? "...first class public service which is the envy of many other countries."

Do you envy ordinary Singaporeans? *slaps forehead*




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sometimes also very fed up with those govt officials. Most of them go to work without switching on their brains and inefficient standards seem to be the rule of the day

eastcoastlife said...

briefsojourn,
I wonder why we are paying so much for robots and monkeys?

To PM Lee Hsien Loong is becoming an international joke site. :)

LadyJava said...

AiyoooH... *slaps forehead" also!

eastcoastlife said...

LadyJava,
hahaha....
awak malu?

LadyJava said...

very paiseh!!!

Unknown said...

I didn't know that these happens here too. So apparently red tape is happening everywhere.

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

Dealing with government agencies, insurance companies, hospitals and schools is always a hassle. That's life. Glad your boy was finally admitted!